G. B. Pant National Institute of Himalayan Environment and Sustainable Development
Formerly known as G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment & Development, G.B. Pant National Institute of Himalayan Environment & Sustainable Development was established in 1988-89, during the birth centenary year of Bharat Ratna Pt. Govind Ballabh Pant. It is as an autonomous Institute of the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEF&CC), Govt. of India.
The Institute follows a multidisciplinary and holistic approach in all its Research and Development programmes to maintain a balance of intricate linkages between socio-cultural, ecological, economic and physical systems.
GBPIHED makes sincere efforts towards preservation of fragile mountain ecosystems, indigenous knowledge systems and sustainable use of natural resources. A conscious effort is made to ensure participation of local inhabitants for long-term acceptance and success of various programmes. Training, environmental education and awareness to different stakeholders are essential components of all the R&D programmes of the Institute.
Objectives of GBPIHED
- Undertake in-depth research and development studies on environmental problems of the Indian Himalayan Region (IHR).
- Identify and strengthen the local knowledge of the environment and contribute towards strengthening researches of regional relevance in the scientific Institutions, Universities/NGOs and Voluntary agencies working in the Himalayan region, through interactive networking.
- Evolve and demonstrate suitable technological packages and delivery systems for sustainable development of the region in harmony with local perceptions.
Research and Development Themes in GBPIHED
- Watershed services, management and land use policy
- Domestic energy needs – options and challenges
- Improved economic and ecological viability of Himalayan farming systems
- Conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity
- Protected areas- management issues & solutions
- Climate change impacts – land and water resources
- SEA and EIA specific to the Himalayan region
- Disaster mitigation and management – data bases and knowledge products
- Environmental Management of Urban areas
- Sustainable tourism
- Entrepreneurship and self employment in the Himalaya
- Indigenous knowledge: traditional lifestyle, architecture and health care practices
- Migration: socio-economic & cultural implications
- Biotechnological interventions in environmental rehabilitation
- Resource materials: mountain ecology and environment
- Capacity building and technology transfer/absorption
The Institute receives core funding from the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Government of India and through national and international bodies like DBT, CSIR, DST, UGC, ICSSR, INSA, ICAR, UCOST, NEC, Sikkim Govt., WWF-India, UNESCO, NORAD, TSBF, CIDA-SICI, McArthur Foundation, BCN, TMI, UNDP, FAO, UNIDO, UNICEF.
Services of GBPIHED
Some of the services offered by GBPIHED are:
- On-spot training camps/workshops for the public especially women, children and students
- Training project based staff
- Training/summer Programme for students/visiting scientists from various parts of India and from countries like Nepal, Bhutan, Holland, Canada, Germany
Apart from research and development activities, the Institute has support facilities and services such as library, arboretum, videography, nursery, instrumentation centre, consultancy, project formulation, soil, water analysis, tissue culture, data processing and information systems, training programmes, workshop and seminars.
G. B. Pant National Institute of Himalayan Environment and Sustainable Development (GBPNIHESD)
Kosi-Katarmal, Almora-263 643, Uttarakhand, INDIA
Phone: (Code: 91-5962) 241015(O), 241034 (R), EPABX Nos.: (05962) 241041, 241154
Fax: (05962) 241014, 241150
Email : email@example.com